close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Cemetery


home-cemetery-calloutCemetery Information


Berlin Township is responsible for the maintenance, repair, and upkeep of two (2) active (Cheshire and Fairview) and three (3) inactive (Township, Blockhouse, and Peachblow ) cemeteries. Responsibilities for Peachblow were transferred from the Peachblow Church in the mid-1950s and the Cheshire Cemetery responsibilities were transferred in the mid-1960s.  With the construction of the Alum Creek Lake, responsibilities for the Township House and Blockhouse cemeteries were also transferred to the township.  Record keeping is required for all cemeteries whether active or inactive.

Cemetery Rules and Fees:
For more information, check out the 2022 interview with Berlin Township's long-time cemetery sexton, Larry Buell:


The cemeteries in Berlin Township have a long history and functions have continued to evolve over the years. Historically, in order that the database be as accurate and complete as possible, record research is an ongoing project.  Records such as old cemetery association record books, newspaper articles obituaries, burial permits, death certificates, and historical and genealogical records are researched and are available to be inputted into the cemetery database.  Inscriptions of tombstones in the Blockhouse and Townhouse cemeteries have been read to make data available for input.  The record of the US Corp of Army Engineers is also used as a reference to the cemeteries moved during the construction of the Alum Creek Lakes.

Information on cemeteries provided by the Delaware County Historical Society:

New Cheshire (Berlin Township) Cemetery


The Berlin Township Cemetery, also known as the New Cheshire Cemetery was established in 1973.  It was created to hold the remains of the following six smaller cemeteries that had to be relocated due to the construction of the Alum Creek Reservoir.

  • Cheshire Cemetery
  • Blockhouse (McNamara) Cemetery
  • Berlin Township House (Townhouse) Cemetery
  • Baker Cemetery
  • Pettit Cemetery
  • Caswell Cemetery
Two additional cemeteries, Patterson Cemetery and Africa Cemetery, were also relocated to their own separate new sites.

Alum Creek Reservoir- Cemetery Relocation Project

The following 8 cemeteries had to be relocated due to the construction of the Alum Creek Reservoir in 1973-1974

Cheshire Cemetery – consisted of approximately 1,486 graves.

Location prior to the Alum Creek Dam: on Cty. Rd. 21 (between Cty. 72 and Twp. Rd. 105).
Relocated to: Cheshire (Berlin Township) Cemetery on Cty. 72

Blockhouse (McNamara) Cemetery – consisted of approximately 129 graves.

The Blockhouse Cemetery, also known as the McNamara Cemetery, was active from 1813-1897.
Location prior to the Alum Creek Dam: on Cty. Rd. 72 (between Cty. 10 and Cty. Rd. 21).
Relocated to: Cheshire (Berlin Township) Cemetery on Cty. 72

Berlin Township House (Townhouse) Cemetery – consisted of approximately 186 graves.

Originally located in or near the village of Cheshire was probably the second cemetery in Berlin Township and was active from 1825-1880.  It apparently served as a churchyard cemetery as there was a church building on the same land that was eventually used as a town hall.   The earliest known burial was that of James Eaton who died in 1825 at the age of 59 years.

Location prior to the Alum Creek Dam: on Cty. Rd. 10 (between Cty. 91 and Cty. Rd. 72).
Relocated to: Cheshire (Berlin Township) Cemetery on Cty. 72

Pettit Cemetery – consisted of 5 graves.

Location prior to the Alum Creek Dam: on Cty. Rd. 35 (between State Route 521 and Twp. Rd. 75).
Relocated to: Cheshire (Berlin Township) Cemetery on Cty. 72

Baker Cemetery – consisted of 11 graves.

Location prior to the Alum Creek Dam: on Cty. Rd. 35 (between Twp. Rd. 77 and Twp. Rd. 78).
Relocated to: Cheshire (Berlin Township) Cemetery on Cty. 72

Caswell Cemetery – consisted of 3 graves.

Location prior to the Alum Creek Dam: on southwest corner of Cty. Rd. 72 and Cty. Rd. 21. (between Twp. Rd. 77 and Twp. Rd. 78).
Relocated to: Cheshire (Berlin Township) Cemetery on Cty. 72

The following two cemeteries were relocated to their own new sites

Patterson Cemetery – consisted of approximately 32 graves.

Location prior to the Alum Creek Dam: on Twp. Rd. 107 (between Twp. Rd. 117 and Cty. Rd. 106).
Relocated to: Williamsville Cemetery on US 23 between Cty. Rd 14 and Twp. Rd 114

Africa Cemetery – consisted of approximately 746 graves.

Location prior to the Alum Creek Dam: on Cty. Rd. 21 (between Twp. Rd. 109 and Cty. Rd. 106).
Relocated to: Africa Cemetery on Twp. Rd 107

Delaware County Historical Society, Our History, Our Heritage, www.delawareohiohistory.org

Contact Information
Cheshire Cemetery
c/o Larry Buell - Sexton
6867 Cheshire Road
Galena, OH 43021
614-738-3979 Cell
740-548-6349 Home

Fairview Cemetery
c/o Tim Foor – Sexton
419-210-4866 – Cell
3271 Cheshire Road
Delaware, Ohio 43015
tfoor@berlintwp.us

Peachblow Cemetery
(no longer active)
3247 Peachblow Road
Delaware, Ohio 43015