Fire Prevention Information
KNOX Box Info
The Berlin Township Fire Department encourages the use of the KNOX-BOX. Presently many homes and businesses in the Township are making use of this Emergency Entry System. Starting at $159 this one time purchase may save the business or home owner much more and allow the Firefighters instant access to the property.
Ten Reasons to Install a KNOX-BOX
- Eliminate needless, costly forced entry damage that may not be covered by your insurance deductible.
- Assure immediate building entry by Firefighters without delay or waiting for building keys.
- Protect inventory, equipment and supplies from unnecessary water damage caused by delayed sprinkler shut-off.
- Satisfy local fire codes and emergency access ordinances.
- Save time and aggravation by not having to drive to your building at 2:00 a.m. for a false alarm.
- Feel secure about emergency coverage when your building is left unattended. The Fire Department holds the ONLY key to the KNOX-BOX.
- Maintain building security after a fire alarm investigation by simply re-locking the undamaged door.
- Protect your property from thousands of dollars in damage with this one-time, low cost investment.
- Depend on the highest lock box security available with attack resistant, UL tested reliability.
- Over the last 25 years, KNOX-BOX has been the chosen solution in 6,000 communities nationwide-communities like Berlin Township!
KNOX-BOX QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
What is a Knox Box system?
It’s a high-security box system, designed to give firefighters and emergency services immediate access to locked buildings, elevators, and other secured areas.
Why install a Knox Box?
Installation of a Knox Box on your property will not only allow firefighters faster access in case of an emergency, but will also prevent expensive forcible entry should emergency services be required while the premises are unoccupied. Costly front doors and entry ways needn’t be harmed if entry keys are available on-site!
How does the Knox Box system work?
Following your purchase of a Knox Box from the factory, you will mount it securely on the exterior of your building; attractive recessed-mount models are available. All necessary access keys will be locked inside by a representative of the fire department; only the fire department’s master key can open the box.
The Knox Box gives the fire department a simple alternative to expensive, time-consuming forcible entry. The generous interior capacity allows you to store everything emergency personnel may require–keys, floor plans, electronic entry cards, and more–in complete security until needed.
How secure is a Knox Box system?
Security has always been a Knox strong point. Designed for maximum protection, each virtually indestructible box features a special high-security Medeco lock and key. This Medeco restricted locking system guards against unauthorized key duplication. Keys aren’t even available to locksmiths or lock distributors–only The Knox Company can supply these keys!
The Knox Box system offers maximum security at every step. Each city has an exclusive key code. All Knox Box stations in that city are keyed alike–and only the fire department has master keys.
Who can authorize a Knox Box system?
Strict security control is maintained by allowing only fire departments to authorize the purchase of each Knox Box. This is achieved by using a special authorization form which you can obtain only from your fire department; the form must be signed by a fire department official whose signature is on file at the factory. After verifying the signature, the Knox box is shipped directly to you. Each Knox Box is shipped without keys, locked in an open position and ready for mounting.
How is a Knox Box installed?
Each Knox Box is shipped with complete mounting instructions; however, your fire department will assist you in choosing a proper location for mounting. After installation is completed, the fire department will conduct an inspection of the installation and lock building keys inside the box. As soon as building keys are locked inside the box, it is ready to provide immediate access to emergency personnel– 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
For more information about the use of the KNOX-BOX in Berlin Township contact us at 740-548-6031.