Fire Prevention Information
Fire Escape Plan
Instituting a home fire escape plan is one of the most important actions that you can take to protect your life, and the lives of your loved ones. The Berlin Township Fire Department urges you to develop and practice a fire escape plan for your home. If you have any questions on how to create a Fire Escape Plan, please call the Berlin Township Fire Department at: 740-548-6031
How to Develop a Fire Escape Plan:
- Install smoke detectors on each floor of your home and test them regularly.
- Draw a floor plan of your home showing all possible exits from each room.
- Where possible, plan a main exit route and an alternate exit route from each room.
- Make certain that everyone understands that if they hear the smoke detector, or hear someone shouting “FIRE”, they should immediately evacuate the home.
- Decide on a meeting place. Someone should be sent to phone the fire department.
- Meet the firefighters when they arrive, so they know that you are safe.
- Make certain that everyone in your home knows not to re-enter a burning building. Firefighters are properly equipped and trained to perform rescue operations, you are not.
Practice Your Escape Plan!
Regular practice is the best way to help prevent PANIC when an actual emergency occurs. Be sure that every member of the family knows what to do.
- Before opening any door on the way out, feel it. If the door is hot – do not open it! – use the alternate exit. If windows in upper storey rooms can’t serve as alternate exits, open the window and shout for help.
- A properly installed and maintained smoke detector should provide enough warning to enable you to safely leave your home, even if there is no alternate exit available.
- In a smoke filled area, the cool air is down low. Practice your escape plan by crawling on your hands and knees.
- If you live in an apartment building, develop your escape plan taking into account fire escape procedures provided by the building management.
- If there is anyone in your home not able to evacuate without assistance, assign someone to assist them.
- Make sure your babysitter understands your fire escape plan