3271 Cheshire Rd. – Delaware, Ohio 43015
Berlin Township Office

3271 Cheshire Road
Delaware, Ohio 43015
740-548-6350

740-548-7458 – fax

Fiscal Officer

Claudia Smith
740-548-6350  ext. 100

Berlin Township Fire Dept.


Station 390
2708 Lackey Old State Rd.
Delaware, Ohio 43015
740-548-6031

Chief Craig Hall

Assistant Chief Joe Pichert

Lt. Steve Arnold – Fire Prevention

Cemetery

BERLIN TOWNSHIP CEMETERIES

Berlin Township is responsible for the maintenance, repair and upkeep of one (1) active (Cheshire) and three (3) inactive (Township, Blockhouse and Peachblow) cemeteries.  Responsibilities for Peachblow were transferred from the Peachblow Church in the mid 1950’s and the Cheshire Cemetery responsibilities were transferred in the mid 1960’s.  With the construction of the Alum Creek Lake, responsibilities for the Township House and Blockhouse cemeteries were also transferred to the township.  Record keeping is required for all cemeteries whether active or inactive.

Since the township handbook was published there have been substantial upgrades and changes to the cemetery functions.  Software is in place and currently being used to upgrade cemetery record keeping in a digital format.  Backup of records is accomplished via a remote backup system with the software company.  By adding software record keeping this adds new and additional clerical work to the cemetery functions.

In order that the database be as accurate and complete as possible, record research is an ongoing project.  Old cemetery association record books, newspaper articles obituaries, burial permits, death certificates, historical and genealogical records, etc. are researched and are available to be inputed into the cemetery database.  Inscriptions of tombstones in the Blockhouse and Townhouse cemeteries have been read to make data available for input.  Record of the US Corp of Army Engineers is also used as reference to the cemeteries moved during construction of the Alum Creek Lakes.

 

Below is information that Delaware County Historical Society submitted:

 

New Cheshire (Berlin Township) Cemetery

The Berlin Township Cemetery, also known as the New Cheshire Cemetery was established in 1973.  It was created to hold the remains of the following six smaller cemeteries that had to be relocated due to the construction of the Alum Creek Reservoir.

  1. Cheshire Cemetery
  2. Blockhouse (McNamara) Cemetery
  3. Berlin Township House (Townhouse) Cemetery
  4. Baker Cemetery
  5. Pettit Cemetery
  6. Caswell Cemetery

 

Two additional cemeteries, Patterson Cemetery and Africa Cemetery, were also relocated to their own separate new sites.

Alum Creek Reservoir- Cemetery Relocation Project

The following 8 cemeteries had to be relocated due to the construction of the Alum Creek Reservoir in 1973-1974

Cheshire Cemetery – consisted of approximately 1,486 graves.

Location prior to the Alum Creek Dam: on Cty. Rd. 21 (between Cty. 72 and Twp. Rd. 105).

Relocated to: Cheshire (Berlin Township) Cemetery on Cty. 72

 

Blockhouse (McNamara) Cemetery – consisted of approximately 129 graves.

The Blockhouse Cemetery, also known as the McNamara Cemetery, was active from 1813-1897.

Location prior to the Alum Creek Dam: on Cty. Rd. 72 (between Cty. 10 and Cty. Rd. 21).

Relocated to: Cheshire (Berlin Township) Cemetery on Cty. 72

 

Berlin Township House (Townhouse) Cemetery – consisted of approximately 186 graves.

Originally located in or near the village of Cheshire was probably the second cemetery in Berlin Township and was active from 1825-1880.  It apparently served as a churchyard cemetery as there was a church building on the same land that was eventually used as a town hall.   The earliest known burial was that of James Eaton who died in 1825 at the age of 59 years.

Location prior to the Alum Creek Dam: on Cty. Rd. 10 (between Cty. 91 and Cty. Rd. 72).

Relocated to: Cheshire (Berlin Township) Cemetery on Cty. 72

 

Pettit Cemetery – consisted of 5 graves.

Location prior to the Alum Creek Dam: on Cty. Rd. 35 (between State Route 521 and Twp. Rd. 75).

Relocated to: Cheshire (Berlin Township) Cemetery on Cty. 72

 

Baker Cemetery – consisted of 11 graves.

Location prior to the Alum Creek Dam: on Cty. Rd. 35 (between Twp. Rd. 77 and Twp. Rd. 78).

Relocated to: Cheshire (Berlin Township) Cemetery on Cty. 72

 

Caswell Cemetery – consisted of 3 graves.

Location prior to the Alum Creek Dam: on southwest corner of Cty. Rd. 72 and Cty. Rd. 21. (between Twp. Rd. 77 and Twp. Rd. 78).

Relocated to: Cheshire (Berlin Township) Cemetery on Cty. 72

 

The following two cemeteries were relocated to their own new sites

 

Patterson Cemetery – consisted of approximately 32 graves.

Location prior to the Alum Creek Dam: on Twp. Rd. 107 (between Twp. Rd. 117 and Cty. Rd. 106).

Relocated to: Williamsville Cemetery on US 23 between Cty. Rd 14 and Twp. Rd 114

 

 

Africa Cemetery – consisted of approximately 746 graves.

Location prior to the Alum Creek Dam: on Cty. Rd. 21 (between Twp. Rd. 109 and Cty. Rd. 106).

Relocated to: Africa Cemetery on Twp. Rd 107

 

Delaware County Historical Society, Our History, Our Heritage, www.delawareohiohistory.org

Cemetery Information

Sexton Cemetery
Larry Buell
6867 Cheshire Road
Galena, OH 43021
614-738-3979 Cell
740-548-6349 Home

Cheshire Cemetery
3271 Cheshire Road
Delaware, Ohio 43015

Peachblow Cemetery
(no longer active)
3247 Peachblow Road
Delaware, Ohio 43015